Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Countdown: 7 More Days

Deep cleaned my room, and packed most of my stuff into storage. Late this morning I went to American Express on First and Market and bought 4000 Indian Rupees which cost me around $106. The current exchange rate is 44.75...Probably it is less of a hassle to have some rupees beforehand instead of waiting until I get to Delhi airport. They gave me some huge bills--eight 500 notes. I was trying to tell the woman to break it up for me into smaller ones like 100 notes but unfortunately AmEx doesn't carry any other notes other than the 500. Here is what the 500 looks like...

Oh and about the 50 rupee note, I bought it from an Englishman who came into AmEx trying to get 550 rupee note changed into dollars. (Needless to say I got a way better exchange rate from him than from Amex). He was in India for about a week in November and had some amazing stories. He said that the food was incredible, and that you can get really beautiful clothes dirt cheap. He bought really nice tunics for himself, his wife, and son...all for 250 rupees. I was flabbergasted.

I also booked my airport shuttle today. So they're going to come and pick me up at 6:05 am on Saturday, May 14 for my 9:20 flight to Chicago. The flight to Chicago is 4 hours, wait there for an hour, and then directly to Delhi which is a 15 hour flight; I'll get to Delhi on Sunday at 6 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment