Thursday, May 23, 2013

"Bored but with a plan."


After spending several days in Saigon, it was time to visit mom in Bac Lieu which is around 270 km and takes about 7 hours on the bus. The weather has been terribly hot about 92 degrees and probably 100% humidity. I cannot take enough showers to get rid of the general stickiness feeling. Even with a fan blowing and windows open, I had a hard time adjusting to the weather. At least in Saigon, we were in a AC hotel and other than venturing out to eat, I mainly stayed indoors. Hence, I’ve decided to stay in Bac Lieu for only three days before I head back to Saigon. Initially I was planning to stay until I had to return for my flight to Bangkok but as much as I like seeing mom, it can get pretty boring down here and with bad humidity it can sap a lot of my enthusiasm. At least in Saigon, there are places to eat and with a 25 meter swimming pool I can always divert my attention to swimming.

"Bun Bo Hue" (Vermicelli Beef Noodle Soup from the region of Hue) I can't promise that I'll be able to translate every single dish accurately as I have done here. In general, the Vietnamese food is spectacular. Almost all dishes are served hot. 

I think it is BBQ pork w/ rice. We eat too much pork here in this country. 
Okay this dish really gross me out. Super small chicken cooked in medicinal broth. Told my aunt that the dark color was unappetizing which she can sympathize with but she said the broth is very good for the health. 

Fish Market close to where we live:: I think Americans would really appreciate knowing that all of the seafood here was caught in the morning. 




Another dish: Bun Nuc Leo (No idea how to translate this dish) It's something like "Vermicelli in water..." I don't know what the exact equivalent of "Leo" but it's something like fermented anchovies. 


Any dish that is broth base will have a cauldron of broth in it. 











The finished product :: Bun Nuoc Leo with plenty of seafood. I got pretty tired with the pork and I told mom to only order seafood.



Despite the boredom, I have been able to get in touch with Mako thru Facebook (which is banned in Vietnam) but somehow works on 3G with my Ipad. It is very likely that we will get to hang out in Bangkok. Mako is currently in Phnom Penh in Cambodia and will be flying to Delhi on her way to Dharamsala at the beginning of June all the way until the end of the month. Because of Mako, I think I will fly to Delhi and go to Dharamsala maybe in mid-June and stay with her until the end of the month. Dharamsala is close to the Himalayas and many other beautiful places in India which I have never been even though this is my third trip to the country. It makes sense to do all this and I have called Vinaya on Skype this morning to tell her that. I’m also trying to get her to come with me but probably due to work, she might not be able to. Also she’s not too keen on going to new places alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment