Friday, May 25, 2012

Tues. May 22, 2012

Finally the day of my departure is here. It’s been a hard year, but also a very rewarding one. Horace Mann the middle school that I have worked at for the past two years is now completely taken over by Buena Vista elementary school. The district has turned it into a K-8 Spanish immersion school which means most of the middle school staff have to be let go because all or most of the classes are taught in Spanish. I was pretty much forced to sub elsewhere and I found a long-time subbing position at James Denman MS which is near the Balboa Bart station. For the past three months, I had to bike 5 miles to get there from Zen Center which pubt me in very good shape but the bike ride in the morning was a little dangerous at first. Even though there are barriers on San Jose Ave. to divide cyclists from cars, I didn’t feel safe biking next to cars that are going at 40-50 mph. Instead I chose to climb up the hills of Arlington St. which is exhausting work.

Aileen and Eva both accompanied me to the SFO airport where I waited for an hour and a half before I could check my bags. I decided to wait for another 45 minutes when I saw how long the line was. It only died down a bit, I finally gave up after the 45 minute mark, when I saw that people were still slowly trickling in so I went ahead and waited in line. It didn’t take that long though. From what I can tell, a lot of the ppl were tourists and were heading back home to Asia.

The flight was quite nice even though it was brutally long! I thought it was a straight shot to Singapore but that was not the case. It took 12 hours to get to Hong Kong and then another 3 hours to Singapore. I was probably on that plane for a good 16-17 hours. But I got a really good seat right next to the exit doors, which guaranteed that I have a lot of leg room. I should have brought more snacks with me or at least I should have eaten a big meal or something before I boarded that plane so that I did not have to wait around for dinner at 3 o’clock in the morning. I guess if I had done that, I could have had more sleep. Right now as I am blogging this at the Singapore airport, all I desire right now is to doze off when I’m on the plane heading for Mumbai. It’s a five hour flight and I really desperately need to get some shut eye time.

Singapore is a nice airline to fly on. Their food is good and I like the fact that they use small tupperware and they are quite conscientious about the use of plastic. They use silverware unlike other airlines. The flight attendants are very friendly and young...there’s a kind of exuberance and enthusiasm about how they do their work. The airport is very nice, it’s quite a hub for a lot of flights all over Asia. Despite the fact that there should be a lot of foot traffic, the ambience in the airport is very quiet and calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment